I’m pretty proud of this week’s mix. In case you haven’t noticed, the mixes are going up on Mondays this year. This isn’t really something I chose, it just worked out that way since January 7th was on a Monday this year. In 2011 it was every Friday, which a lot of people seemed to like. In 2012 it was every Saturday, which was not only harder for me, but it also seemed less convenient for listeners. Mondays are working out really well so far though. I have all weekend to fine tune and upload the mix and you have the whole week to listen. I’m eager to know how you feel about this change. Is it better/more convient to listen to mixes on Friday, Saturday or Monday?
- Redd Kross – Stay Away From Downtown
- Japandroids – The House That Heaven Built
- The Pass – Colors
- Pete Yorn – Precious Stone
- Christopher Owens – New York City
- Soft Swells – Make It Go Away
- Chelsea Light Moving – Empires of Time
- Richard Buckner – Witness
- Neil Young – Razor Love
- Kurt Vile – Society Is My Friend
file under: counting, silent partners, skyline passion
- The Helio Sequence – Back To This
it always comes back to this, again
- Herman Dune – Show Me The Roof
Herman Dune played this to a very packed crowd Wednesday night at Il Motore, along with lots of new songs.
- Eef Barzelay – Numerology
we could have known each other in another life
- Kathleen Edwards – Change The Sheets
- of Montreal – Suffer For Fashion
- The Shins – Simple Song
I’ve started to realize that every song sounds good when it follows this song.
- A.C. Newman – Prophets
- Blondie – Union City Blue
tunnel to the other side
- Cults – Go Outside
- Sleigh Bells – Infinity Guitars
Lots of guitar picking this week, and a bit of a Harry Nilsson tangent. If you guess the lord must be in New York City you’re probably right.
- The Get Up Kids – Never Tear Us Apart
Neon Trees covered this at Webster Hall last week. Oh yes, I was singing along. It’s only one of my favorite songs of all time.
- Patti Smith – Break It Up
I started (and finished) reading Just Kids this week. It was better than I expected, and I expected it to be awesome. It didn’t take very long for me to get on a Patti Smith kick.
I ripped my skin open and then I broke through. Here’s to 2011.
- Mundy – Strange Hotel
Why are songs about haunted hotels always so good?
- Dr. Dog – Where’d All The Time Go?
- Harry Nilsson – I Guess The Lord Must Be In New York City
- Jesse Malin – Everybody’s Talkin’
Ready for the show this Monday? Yes, yes we are.
- Ryan Adams & The Cardinals – Born Into A Light
- Harper Simon – Wishes and Stars
- The Tallest Man On Earth – Troubles Will Be Gone
Oh, when it’s god I see in headlights kneeling down on frozen highways, and salvation in white knuckles on a wheel…
…well the day is never done, but there’s a light on where you’re sleeping, so I hope somewhere that troubles will be gone.
- Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man
- I really fucked it up this time, didn’t I my dear?