- The Faint – Take Me to the Hospital
- The Sounds – Queen of Apology
- The Artwoods – Things Get Better
- Tilly and the Wall – You and I Misbehaving
- Metric – Succexy
- CSS – Alala
- Crystal Castles – Black Panther
- The Rescues – Everything’s Gonna Be Better Next Year
- Alabama Shakes – Hold On
- Raphael Saadiq – Stone Rollin’
The year is winding down and mostly everyone is deep into holiday plans, including me. I am hosting Xmas for my whole family. However, I’ve decided not to stress myself out about certain things, like the state of the coffee pot or the fact that people will be preparing and eating various meats in my kitchen. I am determined to let all of that go, listen to holiday music for the next few days, and possibly wear a tutu while making vegetarian sag paneer. Whatever makes one happy.
This time of year is the darkest and potentially the most bleak and hopeless, and coincidentally I’ve noticed, a time when some of the people we love are taken from us. I don’t know if it’s better or worse that the biggest holiday in the year gets plunked right on top of it, but it’s something that gives me hope.
Next week is a week of reflection, for me. This week, hopeful craziness mixed with calm and coffee breaks. I hope the end of the year brings you whatever you desire.
File under : seeing clear through, last gang in town, revolution, ghosts
Oh mix 51, you came together so serendipitously. Only one more week until 2011! Expect lots of posts in the next few days as I get all my best-of lists together and some end of the year mixes too.
- Rock Plaza Central – Anthem For The Already Defeated
I had this song in my head all day Friday before the Rural Alberta Advantage show. I know they’re not the same band, but for some reason I was making the connection. Perhaps it’s because both bands had the same opener when I saw them live.
- The Rural Alberta Advantage – Rush Apart
They played a good show on Friday. Never have I been in a room with so many dancing Albertans, except maybe when I visited Alberta.
- Surfer Blood – I’m Not Ready
I can’t wait to see what they do in 2011.
- Tamaryn – Choirs Of Winter
You’ve arrived at the sparse, wintry part of the mix. It’s snowing somewhere.
- The National – Terrible Love
Yes, still listening to High Violet over here.
- Beach House – I Do Not Care For The Winter Sun
This track was all over the internets this week. Turns out it fits in perfectly with the vibe on this week’s mix.
- She & Him – You Really Got A Hold On Me
Zooey Deschanel really annoys me for some reason, and because of this, I can’t really listen to She & Him anymore, even though I really like M Ward. I overlooked that this week though since it pairs itself so well with the Beach House song. This is one of my favorite songs in the history of songs, so it’s got that going for it.
- Dirty Projectors – Two Doves
- The Tallest Man On Earth – The Blizzard’s Never Seen The Desert Sands
- Bob Dylan – Mississippi
This song always makes me think of this time of year, and this time of year always makes me think of this song. There’s only one thing I did wrong, stayed in Mississippi a day too long.