Better late than never. The trip I took to Ottawa last weekend got me a little off track with the mixes, but I do have them ready to go now. Here’s last Saturday’s. Yesterday’s is coming in the next few days.
- The Helio Sequence – October
- A Girl in a Rat Suit – Hotel Terminus
- Mark Lanegan – When Your Number Isn’t Up
- Regina Spektor – Samson
This version, from 2002’s Songs has always been better than the faster and more polished Begin To Hope version, in my opinion.
- Marah – Blue But Cool
two heartsick fools drinking beer on their kitchen stools
and we’re scared, and yeah we’re blue, but cool
- Ryan Adams – Wish You Here Here
- Mumford & Sons – I Gave You All
- Bishop Allen – Click, Click, Click, Click
- Thea Gilmore – I’m Not Down
- The Gaslight Anthem – Black Betty & The Moon
I’m trying out something new this week. I thought my way of posting my weekly mixes has been lacking since it didn’t really give you a way of listening to the songs for yourself. I don’t want to post MP3s for download, so with the help of Grooveshark I’ve made a playlist of this week’s mix. I hope you like what you hear.
- Kate Bush – Sunset
I had a window seat flying home across the ocean on Sunday. It was a seven hour flight where we took off at 5pm and landed at 7pm. We seemed to chase the sunset across the sky.
- Liz Phair – Stratford On Guy
Flying always makes me think of this song, but this time it was truer than ever. It took an hour, maybe a day.
- U2 – October
And when we landed, it was chilly. There was a bit of a change in temperature from Naples to Milan, but nothing like the cold wind that greeted us in Montreal. I knew that would be the case though. Even though days before I was in sunny Pompeii in nothing more than a T-shirt, it was suddenly October.
- M. Ward – Post War
Time for a slow dance.
- Surfer Blood – Twin Peaks
- The Hold Steady – Cattle and the Creeping Things
I love how this song sounds like two songs. The lyrics don’t seem to match the melody at all.
- The Mountain Goats – Heretic Pride
I feel so proud to be alive, and I feel so proud when the reckoning arrives.
- The Vaselines – Jesus Don’t Want Me For A Sunbeam
- The Gaslight Anthem – Boomboxes and Dictionaries
The radio will still play loud, songs that we heard as our guards came down.
Like in the summertime when we first met, I’ll never forget, don’t you forget.
These nights are still ours.
- Frank Turner – Jet Lag
No comment, only that this song is epic.