I never got a chance to post the last two week’s mixes since I was traveling (attending the greatest wedding ever and getting a new tattoo). However, that means I missed putting out a “last mix of spring”, but I can still give you a “first mix of the summer”. Hopefully I’ll be able to put mixes up regularly for the next twelve weeks. Nothing beats a summer mix (or twelve of them, in this case).
- Destroyer – Your Blues
Went to see Destroyer Thursday night. It was all a blur of sweaty bodies and lights. And this song.
- The Stranglers – Midnight Summer Dream
woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful
- Silver Apples – Oscillations
- Standard Fare – Darth Vader
- The Wallflowers – One Headlight
Blast from the past.
- Crocodiles – Sunday (Psychic Conversation #9)
Crocodiles put out a great album a few weeks ago. This song in particular is a very good choice for a summer soundtrack.
- Peggy Sue – Heatwave
All music sounds better when it’s hot out.
- Ani DiFranco – Fierce Flawless
everything bows to beauty…
- Echo & The Bunnymen – Seven Seas
- Big Star – Way Out West
The bulk of this mix was fabricated under a haze of sleep. I’m on vacation at the moment and thought about doing something else, but then an idea came to me, and well… here we are.
- U2 – I Threw A Brick Through A Window
It was a passing fancy.
- Morrissey – I Am Hated For Loving
anonymous call, a poison pen, a brick in the small of the back again
- The Wooden Birds – False Alarm
- Local Natives – Cards and Quarters
There’s a cave made of sheets
And I, I know we want to be inside
Take off all of your clothes and climb into a cave of sheets tonight
Steal away, you and me
To a cave made of sheets
- The Rosebuds – Big Heartbreak
- Billy Bragg – Bad Penny
Listening to Billy Bragg always makes me feel good. It’s that jangly guitar and the way he makes every word sound important. He’s like a religion and I’m super devout.
- Frank Turner – I Am Disappeared
I keep having dreams, of pioneers and pirate ships and Bob Dylan.
Frank Turner’s going to take over the world.
- The Rural Alberta Advantage – The Air
- The Gaslight Anthem – Boxer
you found the bandages inside the pen, and the stitches on the radio
- Bruce Springsteen – Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
they made that change uptown and the big man joined the band