I’ve been compiling a best of list for the past few weeks and looking at some others. Using data from a handful of magazines, music blogs and radio listeners and with the help of my in-house number cruncher, we have found the top 10 albums of 2010. They are as follows :
10. Yeasayer – ‘Odd Blood’
9. The Black Keys – ‘Brothers’
8. Janelle Monae – ‘The ArchAndroid’
7. The National – ‘High Violet’
6. Vampire Weekend – ‘Contra’
5. Deerhunter – ‘Halcyon Digest’
4. LCD Soundsystem – ‘This Is Happening’
3. Kanye West – ‘My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’
2. Beach House – ‘Teen Dream’
1. Arcade Fire – ‘The Suburbs’
As you may have guessed if you’ve been reading this blog for the last few months, very few of those albums were in rotation around these parts. There seems to be overwhelming love this year for things like Arcade Fire and Kanye West, which goes to show you that good taste is relative. While I’ll refrain from maligning what other people deem as awesome (I prefer to keep that to my private life), I’m certainly going to add my own two cents here. These are the albums that I thought were worth the effort this year.
10. The Black Keys – ‘Brothers’
This album was kind of everywhere this year, but I did enjoy it. They put on a great show at Osheaga too, in the sweltering heat.
9. Best Coast – ‘Crazy For You’
I still hate this album cover, but once I listened I couldn;’t stop. It’s catchy, well put together and will forever remind me of this summer.
8. Vampire Weekend – ‘Contra’
I Think Ur A Contra was one of my favorite songs of this year.
7. The National – ‘High Violet’
It took me six months of hearing about it to get into this album. I still maintain that it was written for November.
6. The Hold Steady – ‘Heaven Is Whenever’
Good solid album. I approve.
5. The Vaselines – ‘Sex With an X’
Never in a million years did I think I would get to see the Vaselines live, and I guess no one thought they’d ever make a new album, but it happened, and though it seemed to go under the radar for the most part, I really enjoyed it.
4. The Tallest Man On Earth – ‘The Wild Hunt’
So glad I found this artist and album this year.
3. Surfer Blood – ‘Astrocoast’
I kind of can’t wait to see what Surfer Blood does next. I really liked Astrocoast and kept reaching for it this summer.
2. The Gaslight Anthem – ‘American Slang’
Did you ever get into a band and then start noticing them everywhere? Yeah.
1. Jesse Malin & The St. Marks Social – ‘Love It To Life’
Clearly the forerunner. I’d been waiting three years for a new album and six years for a tour and expected something good, but not this good. This album was 2010 for me. I saw Jesse Malin six times this year, in three different cities and with two different backup bands and every show had something special about it. It brought me back to my roots, and without it this blog would not exist.
I’m looking forward to 2011. I don’t know exactly what it will bring, but that’s always part of the fun.
Happy New Year, Everyone!
(For more info on how the results of everyone else’s best albums of 2010 list was obtained, as well as a whole lots of other technical geekery please refer to I Am Not Charles.)