- The Vaselines – Sex With an X
The new Vaselines album came out a few days ago. I’m still waiting for Sub Pop to send me my copy, but I’ve been listening to this song for weeks. It feels so good it must be bad for me.
- Paul Westerberg – Mannequin Shop
I was at the Jesse Malin & The St. Marks Social show in Toronto last night where lots of Paul Westerberg was played between sets.
- Mundy – The Sound of Keys
This song came up on my ipod this week and grabbed me right away. I also happened to find a Mundy 7″ while record shopping, so I suppose it was fate. I’ve never been so in love or so confused.
- Bell X1 – The Great Defector
Seemed to go well with the Mundy.
- The Raconteurs – Top Yourself
How you gonna top yourself? Great question. There’s all kinds of great slide guitar sounding stuff happening in this song, too.
- Spoon – Nobody Gets Me But You
Indeed. This one’s for everyone who gets it.
- The Black Keys – Too Afraid To Love You
I’ve been trying to fit this in a mix for weeks. Tumbling toy piano. I just don’t know what to do, I’m too afraid to love you.
- The Hold Steady – Hurricane J
22 and banging ’round in restaurants isn’t that much prettier than banging ’round in bars
- Papercuts – You Can Have What You Want
and throw the rest away. I’ve always suspected just that.
- Jesse Malin – Stranger Than Fools
Oddly enough, this song kept playing every time I tried to select a specific Hold Steady song on my ipod this week. I have no idea why. I couldn’t fight it though, especially since I saw Jesse live twice this week, and this is a ridiculously lovely love song that is secretly written by Tom Waits. Strangers and fools, boys.